Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Bag Adventure

I started my first sewing project with UHandbag’s Gusset bag pattern (minus the mini purse) a year ago. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. It’s a simple tote bag but with curvy corners at the bottom. I guess this could be a good tutorial for beginners who want to try making bags. Recommended ;).. I never knew I could sew a bag!

I made this polka dot toy bag for my son. He was so happy when I gave it to him and quickly cleaned up all the mess and put them into the bag. Boy i was pleased until he dig another box to make another gigantic 'train island'..

polkadot bag

Since then, I became addicted to bags ;). My second project was based on JCaroline Hobo bag pattern. It turned out as expected! Another happy ending. This one is not that hard either but you need to be very patient. Follow the instructions carefully, one by one. At one stage I was thinking that the steps were wrong (yeah, i always thought i was smart lol) but no, obviously. I had to unpicked the stitched lines and reverted to previous steps, leaving a row of tiny holes on the fabric.. dang. Lesson learnt.

ikea hobo bag

My hobo bag with Ikea fabric.. which I think was a bad match. Should have use different fabric. And yeah, I used wooden rings instead of metal. Searched everywhere but can’t find a single craft shop selling flat metal ring. Anyone knows where can I get that locally?

4 comments:

Bea said...

OMG! your JC hobo looks great. I've been keeping the bag pattern for a while now. Haven't got the urge to make one yet. But if I do make one I'll let you know:). I got those Ikea fabrics too.
From the works that you've shown here, I can see that you're really talented at sewing. So keep on sewing & sharing ideas.

syaf said...

Hey thank you Bea!! :D
U gotta try this.. (I took 2 weeks to complete this by the way.. very slow hehe..) I'm sure you could do better than me ;)

MamaDaniel said...

Salam.. nice bags.. i never sew a bag.. maybe i can start one now.. with hobo bag.. hehe.. wish me luck!

polka dot fabric tu cantik la.. is it heavy cotton?

syaf said...

Salam MamaDaniel.. why not try the gusset bag first? it's easier & can be done faster than the hobo :).. but no harm trying the hobo first, just be a little patient hehe

yeap thats heavy cotton.. bought it from ssf curtains

oh yeah, good luck! let me know the outcome ;)